Ad agencies often profile a single user for marketing purposes, rather than concentrating on a demographic. Beginning with a list of psychological characteristics, they work towards a fictional user they describe by name. This is Liz's assessment, please sanity-check.
1. Common fears, frustrations, pains and urgency
- Frustrated with layers of interface in common communications - e.g. social networking tools, answering services.
- Desperate to talk to human beings rather than machines.
- May be somewhat technically illiterate AND/OR scared or mistrustful of communications technology?
- Not terribly patient. Likes instant gratification.
- Protective of personal space, needs to keep a bit of distance.
2. Wants and aspirations
- Intensely curious about things and people. Likes finding things out.
- Risk taker, eager to experiment with new things, but not reckless.
- Social connections important. Strong desire to expand social network through real-time communication.
- Likes to think about, understand other people. Empathic, cooperative
- Likes to talk, share knowledge as a means of social engagement (impress people!)
- Get what they need from other people - manipulative?
3. Common experiences, reality, what they are thinking
- Autonomous, independent, takes charge
- Extroverted, often out and about --> young, or enjoys young company
- Energetic, likes attention
- Enjoys shared social experiences and spaces: events, venues etc
- Physically unconfident of appearance, prefers to judge and be judged by personality rather than surface
4. Irrational fears and fantasies
- Uncertain of position in high-tech urban environment.
- Needs constant assurance of self-worth.
- Doesn't like to be seen as ignorant, hates asking questions of people they know, in the street etc.
- Attracted to the strange and bizarre
- Control freak: likes to think they are always "in charge"
5. Name and describe them
Question: how does directionless.info relate to directionless enquiries?
Key Brand Values
Due to the social nature of the service, we believe directionless.info will have a direct appeal to young people, specifically women. Agent activity depends on having a certain amount of time to spare taking calls, making students also obvious candidates.
Ideas it should communicate are:
- simple, unobtrusive
- friendly, human
- low cost
- local knowledge, localized communities
- 'no robots allowed'
- anti telco
- transparency, simple processes
- Hi-tech goes 'back to basics'
- cool, a little bit sexy (but not about dating)
- person to person contact
Styling should feel hi-tech yet human, inexpensive but still sophisticated, and feel friendly and accessible. An iconic character or collection thereof could project this mood:
Implicit in the service is a 'back-to-basics' approach to hi-tech mobile communication. Possible image metaphors are:
- old fashioned switchboard
- two tins on string
Graphics should perform well on mobile devices as well as on the Web.
- big screen to small screen
- lightweight for limited bandwidth on mobile devices
We would like a branded avant-gard ringtone.